Sunday, September 1, 2013
Fall is upon us. The leaves are shaking, changing ever so slightly while the morning feels a little crisper, a littler cooler.
School starts this week and I am in the midst of chaotic thoughts. Lunch duty, babysitter, carpool, pre-school, supplies, gas money, unending lists of things to do.
I realize somewhere in the back of my mind that I have become the world's greatest procrastinator over the summer. Only because deep down I knew that I was about to embark on the USS Chaos.
Most parents have expressed their joy at their kids returning to school, where as I have been dragging my feet in the ultimate reluctance to resume any kind of schedule what-so-ever. I have reveled in sleeping in and not knowing what the day might bring. I have slunk into books to hide away from responsibility. Gallivanting through forests, mountains, space, time, and competitions with the imaginary characters of fiction.
Not that reading is a bad thing to do. Proper literature enhances and enlightens us, but when you avoid life because you are reading there may lie a problem. I have found this summer that I missed reading. I have missed the thoughts and imagination shared by others. I have missed the ideas that it brings. I have missed the late night page turning, only to finish a book and realize that it leaves you hanging on the cliff waiting for more, at 4 am when you really need sleep, but don't want to leave off at that critical point.
Oh, to be that person who can just give way to selfishness and only do that which they want. But I am not that person. I have responsibility, I have the moral fibers that say, "Get up, get going, you have things to do today." If only to get up and read, but alas the laundry must be done or my son will not have underwear. Food must be made or my husband will come home to an empty table. The lawn and garden must be taken care of. Church must be attended. Why you ask?
WE are more than that. We have been sculpted, carved, forged, to be more than we are. "We are star stuff" and we deserve to have eternal joy. Life does not bring you joy if you are not serving others. Life does not bring you joy if you are not reaching for the best of yourself. Life does not bring you joy unless you reach out and grasp it. You must work for it. You must plan, prepare, and envision. You must DO.
And so as we embark on our next chapter of life, we too know that we must do. My last official school year before having a high school child. My last chance to feel that my oldest is still little is gone. Life moves on whether we are stuck in a book or a game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.