Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Something in the wind

Things are changing for all of us. Some are having job changes, some life changes, others just day to day growing changes. I think the Lord is really pushing us right now to be better. Two nights ago we had a family discussion about gossip. Now I know it seems like a small deal, but once you really think about it it is a BIG DEAL. We gossip daily and the world has come to the idea that it is ok. But the reality of gossip is that it is extremely hurtful. My oldest daughter decided she wasn't adept at conversation and started talking about someone to steer the conversation from a subject she wasn't comfortable discussing. Unfortunately I chose that very moment to walk by their little group at lunch. Which prompted the discussion. We discussed the options for restitution and she lost some sleep over the issue. But in the end she apologized to the person in question. The person couldn't believe that she would tell her what had occurred. It turned out fine and they are still friends. I had to wonder about it all day because I knew it was a hard topic. In the end I feel she has made her Savior very happy with her decision. She is trying very hard to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord but is struggling with the world her friends live in. I am relieved she chose to follow the Savior. I am not sure I could have made the same decision she did when I was her age. Can any of us really say that we have apologized to someone for talking about them behind their backs? I don't think so, but this is something we have made as a goal for our family. To avoid gossip and ill speaking as much as possible. It is a hard road for anyone, but with the Lord's help we can all speak kind words to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.