Wednesday, November 14, 2012
The last week of waiting for the results of Ty's and Raegan's biopsies have been excruciating. Still no word on the results. I am hoping that means that his cancer is gone and that Raegan's is just an abnormal mole. It has been really hard to have a 3 year old with skin cancer. At first it was tears and trying to deny it. Now I am all about trying to help others keep tabs on their own kids. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, last april we found out that our three year old has skin cancer. He had a rapidly growing mole on the top of his head under his hair. I had already taken him in for a previous biopsy on a weird looking mole that turned out to be just that, a weird looking mole. At his check-up I had them biopsy the new mole and the called me three days later to tell me it was moderately cancerous. Now I say moderately because that was the scale they gave me. Mild, moderate, severe, and melanoma. Just knowing that it was even remotely cancerous was heart breaking. Especially since he had just turned three a month previously.
Now I am sure a lot of you are thinking...SUNSCREEN! Be aware that I have never covered my babies as well as him. He always had sunscreen on. Always had hats and full coverage when swimming. However, we had used the aerosol spray sunscreen in his hair for his scalp. Don't know if this is a factor or not, but I will never use it again. I had even bought some just before I heard the news and promptly threw it away. Unopened and unused. I counsel all of my friends to always check their children's scalps on a regular basis. Especially since a month later I found a mole on my daugter as well in her scalp. Than my son had another mole pop up on his scalp that grew rapidly. I wish I could tell you the results of that one, but like I said, still waiting.
The moral of this story is, even little kids can get skin cancer. Even little ones are not immune and should be covered up. I pray that this will help someone else find and stop any cancers on their own children just as my awareness has kept us on track with his. I love my little boy and if it is God's will that he return to him early then I will have to deal with that, but I am hoping that this is just a trial so that I can be of service to others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.